Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chemical Burns caused by Carter's Baby Garments spur "Press Release" but not an official recall???

Not really my article, but it did catch my attention. This post comes from Nicole at http://windbornelife.blogspot.com

As a mom, I feel responsible for sharing information about this news with you. Carter's has made a press release (but not a recall, which is infuriating), about the "tagless" clothes in their fall 2007 line. They are causing chemical burns on some babies and young kids. Here is the press release from the Consumer Products Safety Commission. I know this problem only affects a small percentage of consumers, but Carter's was a brand I trusted and it is discouraging to have that trust marred.

This really contributes to the overall paranoid feeling you might naturally have as a parent that the world can be a dangerous place for your baby. Just as our parents thought "You can't trust the government," I feel that our generation must think, "You can't trust corporations." And in a free market economy, it is pretty scary to not be able to trust corporations. Since Mac has been born, we've seen it again and again: The plastic bottles and cups we heated leached chemicals into his body. The organic formula we used was loaded with cheap sugar. The clothes we put him in caused chemical burns on some. I know it needs to be kept in perspective (how many hundreds of products do we use that don't cause any problems?), but I am still allowed to be discouraged!

Anyway, I will put away my soapbox for now. But, if you want to sign up for CPSC recall emails (on children's stuff or anything else) here is the link: https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx

For more information on the Carter's Inc Baby Garment issue

No comments: