Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Vaisakhi Nagar Kirtan apparent celebration of Martyr Murderers

OK, I will be the first one to admit I really haven't been paying all too much attention to this whole issue. Personally, I believe abit of ethnic diversity is great and find the music and dances of the south asian culture quite entertaining.

Today I scanned through an article in the local paper which kind of brought all the contraversy together for me. From whay I understand, there is either one float or a number of floats which prominently display pictures of murderers which a certain group within the culture idolize. Some of them dead, while others are unfortunately still alive and free.

It seems the parade organizers are refusing to bow to political demands for the removal of these images. While I can understand and appreciate the refusal to let their celibration be controlled by outside political influences, these people need to realise the message they are sending out to the youth within their community. All of a sudden, murder is OK... In fact it is better than OK. If you kill someone you even get your picture posted on a float for millions to ooogle over.

Come on people, get a fucking brain and quit making your religion look bad.

No comments: